MAC has three Practice Groups – Purple (Stroke School) Group, Gold Group, and Blue /Senior Group.
Minimum Swimming Requirements: Swimmers must be able to swim 25 yards (one pool length) of both freestyle and backstroke in 40 seconds and 50 seconds respectively. These swimmers would have been Junior level Tigershark swimmers or Rookie II swimmers about to be promoted.
The PURPLE (Stroke School) Group is for those swimmers who do not know all four competitive strokes but can easily swim 25 yards of both freestyle and backstroke in 40 seconds and 50 seconds respectively and at least four cycles of breaststroke and butterfly.
Stroke School will focus on:
- Improving free and back techniques
- Timing the breath in breaststroke and butterfly
- Racing starts with underwater dolphin kick
- Learns breaststroke pull-outs
- Learns streamlining past the flags
- Learns the basics of using the pace clock
- Yardage per session – 500 yards to 1000 yards.
Practice Times: Monday 3:15 PM to 3:50 PM and Wednesday 2:45 PM to 3:20 PM (Purple I)
Tuesday and Thursday 3:15 PM to 3:50 PM (Purple II)
Practice Recommendations: Swimmers should attend both sessions each week for their group but a minimum of one is required.
Equipment Requirements: Kickboard, Fins, Buoy, Cap, Goggles
The GOLD Group (6 to 10 years old) is for those swimmers who know all four competitive strokes and the group will be focusing improving stroke technique, starts, turns and conditioning in which swimmers will be swimming greater yardage. The GOLD Group will focus on:
- Fine tuning all four strokes
- Learning flip turns and open turns
- Learning to streamline past the flags consistently off flip-turns using Underwater Dolphins
- Learning how to use the clock to get times and for proper send-offs
- Aerobic conditioning
- Yardage per session will begin at 1750 yards progressing over the season to 3500 yards
Practice Times: Monday, and Tuesday, 3:20 PM to 4:30 PM, Wednesday 2:45 PM to 4:30 PM (Note: the practice times were changed October 7 when Thursday, Friday and Saturday practices were eliminated. This change was made to allow swimmers to participate in other sports).
Practice Recommendations: Swimmers should plan to attend at least 3 sessions each week, but a minimum of 2 are required. (Note the required practices were changed on Oct 7 to align with the number of practice days)
Equipment Requirements: Snorkel, Fins, Kick board, Buoy, Hand Paddles, Cap, Goggles
The BLUE Group (10 and UP) is for those swimmers who are proficient in all four competitive strokes and the group will be focusing on conditioning in which swimmers will be swimming greater yardage. The GOLD Group swimmer will:
- Be able to train all four strokes effectively
- Be able to do IM training
- Work independently to maintain stroke technique as training demands increase
- Be able to train IM consistently and effectively
- Be utilizing Underwater Dolphin consistently in practice and races
- Approach each practice with the intent to demonstrate a willingness to work hard, be respectful, and race
- Yardage per session will begin at 3000 yards progressing over the season to 6500 yards
Practice Times: Monday thru Thursday 3:30 PM to 5:00 PM and Friday 4:30 PM to 6:00 PM. Monday and Wednesday 6:00 AM to 7:00 AM. Tuesday and Thursday 7:00 PM to 8:30 PM. Saturday 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM
Practice Recommendations: Swimmers should plan to attend at least 5 to 6 sessions each week, but a minimum of 4 are required.
Equipment Requirements: Snorkel, Fins, Kickboard, Buoy, Hand Paddles, Cap, Goggles